Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My new toy.... A Footswitch?

I just got myself a foot-switch. Well, officially it's a "StealthSwitch" for hiding your pr0n or games or Facilebook pages in the office. But it does come with software which just lets you map it to a keystroke. For me, I've mapped it to [SPACE] so that I can have both hands free and page through things like physical manuals and books. Works great in Google Reader. It actually thinks that it is a keyboard, generating up an "all modifiers+5" keystroke which the standalone app they ship with it intercepts and then does whatever action you map it to.

Why does it look like a keyboard? Well, I assume because that way, no drivers are needed for it and on a reasonably set up office machine, you shouldn't have users installing drivers. It's a cunning workaround for that problem. But, I have to say, if it's really a steathy thing then doesn't having this....

Picture 1.png

sitting in the menu bar kind of give it away. Full marks though for having a Mac application for it though, and bonus marks for it not looking like a Windows app.

Now I can sit back and pretend I'm controlling the browser.... WITH MY MIND!

Update: And minus marks for logging *every* press of the footswitch to the console. Mail despatched to their support.

No comments: